Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tasty Tuesday


For the last few weeks I have done meals that would be good for dinner and I wanted to do something a little different this week. 

Since around the holidays, I have been making a homemade breakfast every Sunday for the Mister and I and this week I thought I would share one of the things I recently made. Banana-stuffed French Toast. He saw the recipe in the new William-Sonoma catalog and decided that we needed to try it. So, try it we did.


Here is what you'll need...
  • 2 Tbs. butter
  • 2 Tbs. plus 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 large ripe bananas (I just used 3 medium ones)
  • 1 lb loaf of day-old challah (I couldn't find any so I used square sourdough, and even though there are two pictured, I only used one)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 Tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 Tsp. honey


First, you will want to peel and cut up your bananas into rounds. 


Melt 2 tbs. of butter in a skillet over medium heat. 


Once melted, add in your 2 tbs. of sugar and 2 tbs. of water, stirring until the water is dissolved.


Cook until it is lightly caramelized, about 4 to 5 minutes.


Add in your bananas and cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. 


Resist the urge to just stop here and eat the bananas on their own, and place them in a bowl.


Yup, that will work. While your bananas are cooling, go ahead and preheat your panini maker and we'll get the bread ready.


Cut your loaf into 1 1/2 inch slices. Mine are a little unevenly cut, but it'll work. 


Cut a 2 inch slit on one side of the bread slice, cutting about 3/4 of the way through. 


Now, go ahead and stuff in some of the banana mixture. There is no real measurement here, but I would say I used any where from 1 to 2 tablespoons, or until it seems stuffed enough, but not too stuffed. 


Set aside your bread slices and now we'll get the egg mixture together. In a mixing bowl combine 6 eggs and 2 cups of milk.


Next, mix in the 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp. of honey.


Once it is all mixed together, pour into a 13x9 baking dish.


Soak your bread slices for 5 minutes, turning once in a while to make sure both sides are coated.


They are looking good!



Your panini press should be hot and ready by now, and you will want to give it a quick spray with a non-stick cooking spray.


Go ahead and place in two of your bread slices and lightly press down, cooking it for 4 to 5 minutes. 


This is what you will have when you are done! These got a little dark, but that was okay, I give them to my husband and he just ate them right on up!


For mine, I smothered on a light layer of Nutella (can you really lightly smother something??) and a little extra on the side. Bananas and Nutella. I was a happy girl on Sunday morning. 

The french toast was wonderful and so filling that it kept us going right until dinner that night. While it was fantastic, I can't say I would make it all the time, but probably keep it for special breakfasts or when we have guests. We don't really ever do either though, so I would probably make it once every 3 to 6 months. 

If you are looking for something fun to make for breakfast, I would give this one a go!

Peace out *g*









No comments:

Post a Comment