Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tasty Tuesday



Originally, I had this recipe planned as a good one for cold winter days. Then, it got warm. So warm here in fact, that I thought I had packed away my winter coat for good and the heat could be turned off.

I was wrong. 

The temperatures plummeted and it snowed and iced here over the last day. Which stinks for me, but makes this recipe relevant once more. Still stinks though.

This was originally a recipe for Beef Chili Mac, but in our effort to eat more healthy, I changed it and made it Turkey Chili Mac. 


You will want to chop up one medium onion. I always peel them inside the bag they came in (or some other plastic bag from the store). It helps keep it all tidy and neat, and since my kitchen isn't that big, I like to keep it as clean as possible as I cook.


You will then want to saute the onions in a large skillet. I just tossed them in with a little extra virgin olive oil. 


Once the onions have cooked a little, add in about a pound and a half of ground turkey. This was actually only a pound and a quarter, and it was plenty for just the two of us. 


Once the meat has browned....err..turned white (??) and the onions are translucent, you will want to drain off any fat that you have. By using turkey instead of beef, there was very little.


This is a slow cooker recipe, so now that the meet is cooked, everything is going to be thrown into the slow cooker for the rest of the day. Here is what you need: 2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes (I used one with green chilies and one just plan tomatoes), 15oz can of chili beans, 1 cup beef broth, 2 teaspoons of chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. 


You will want to mix the meat and onions together with all of the other ingredients. You can just dump in the cans and not drain off any of the juice or liquid. Just mix it all in together...easy peasy! Then let it cook on low for 6-8 hours.


Mmmm..it really looks good and probably could be enjoyed as is, but I'm not done just yet. 


Once it is getting close to being done and you are getting ready to eat, you will want to cook 8 oz of pasta, preferably macaroni. I cooked up a whole box, which was 16 oz. Once it is cooked and drained, you will want to add it into your slow cooker.


Doesn't it look good? We decided that next time, we would probably buy a block of Velveeta cheese and mix that in as well. For this time, though, we just topped it with shredded cheddar cheese and a little sour cream. Since there is only two of us, we had lots of left overs and it made for a great lunch to take to work. 

I love slow cooker meals, especially during winter and this one was a success. I'll definitely be making it again. I just hope not until next winter. 

Peace out *g*

No comments:

Post a Comment